Tuesday 27 May 2008

I'm B-a-a-a-a-ack! But a Monster is Lurking in My Future

I'm back from my long weekend way off-off-off-off-Broadway in Pennsylvania where we celebrated my daughter and her Chinese cousins' tenth "gotcha day". A fun time was had by all and it was so wonderful to see how those beautiful Chinese babies blossomed into even more beautiful all-American girls. Meanwhile, I'm getting antsy since I haven't seen any musical theatre in weeks, but next Tuesday we have tickets for Young Frankenstein and I'm so psyched. It stars two of Broadway's most popular actors, Sutton Foster and Roger Bart. It also stars Megan Mullaley, who you might know as Karen from Will and Grace, and Andrea Martin from SCTV and many other television and movie appearances including "Hedwig and the Angry Inch". I once met her at the Bronx Zoo. She was there by herself, a fellow animal lover, and we exchanged some small talk and went our separate ways, but I was impressed with her earthiness. By the way, she is nominated for Best Featured Actress in a Musical in her role as Frau Blucher, as is Christopher Fitzgerald who plays Igor for Best Featured Actor in a Musical.

Although Young Frankenstein was overlooked for a Tony for Best Musical, everyone I know who has seen it loved it. I think many people were turned off by the original ticket prices of $450 for the best 100 seats and $375 for the next 120 seats. I paid $65.00 (about 35 pounds) for our tickets which is a real bargain for Broadway. So next week my family and I will be "puttin' on the ritz" and heading back to Broadway where we long to be. Well, at least I do.

No comments: