Monday 19 May 2008

Broadway's 2008 Tony Nominees

This year the 62nd annual American Theatre Wing's Antoinette Perry (Tony) Awards will take place on June 15th in New York's Radio City Music Hall hosted by my good friend (in my own mind) Whoopi Goldberg. Since The American Theatre Wing has not extended me a ticket, I must observe from afar, although not as far as most of you. Alas, I am a loyal Broadway afficionado and am happy to be in this position, wherever it may be. The following musicals and plays have received nominations and I will put them in order of the number of nominations received:

In the Heights 13
South Pacific 11
Sunday in the Park with George 9
August: Osage County 7
Gypsy 7
Passing Strange 7
Boeing Boeing 6
MacBeth 6
The 39 Steps 6
Les Liaisons Dangereuses 5
Cry Baby 4
Rock and Roll 4
The Seafarer 4
Xanadu 4
A Catered Affair 3
The Homecoming 3
Young Frankenstein 2
The Little Mermaid 2
Come Back Little Sheba 1
Cyrano de Bergerac 1
Grease 1
Is He Dead? 1
Mauritius 1
November 1
Thurgood 1
Top Girls 1

I've seen Cry Baby, A Catered Affair and Grease, and have tickets for Young Frankenstein. I really know how to pick 'em. But I like what I like and rarely go by critic's reviews. I think critics look at different things, maybe more technical things, than the general public. I prefer to go by recommendations from friends and gut feelings and my instincts for me are usually good.

For a complete listing of the nominees and everything else you ever wanted to know about the Tony Awards, go to TonyAwards.com where on Tony night you can watch Broadway and Hollywood celebrities walk the red carpet. Their arrivals will be webcast live from the sidewalk of West 50th Street beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET (11:30 p.m. UK time).

No comments: